Professional Practices and Responsibilities Course – (RYA PPR Course)
This is an online course for new and re-validating RYA Commercial Endorsement holders. Each year around 4500 people apply to the RYA for a commercial endorsement in order to use their RYA qualifications professionally as skipper or crew. From April 2012, anyone wishing to re-validate or apply for the endorsement must complete the online PPR course first. This applies to the following certificates:
- RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Ocean
- RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Offshore
- RYA/YA Yachtmaster Instructor
During the course, you will cover the legal framework that commercial operators need to adhere to – no matter the vessel. While we can’t teach the specific rules for every type of operation, the course will help you understand and execute your duty of care, and give you principles, guidance and techniques to help make the right choices and decisions.
The course is split into 4 sections:
- Commercial environment – showing how you fit into the professional maritime world
- People – explaining the importance of correct manning, keeping skills up to date and the safe management of commercial vessels
- Vessel – teaching about the compulsory carriage and maintenance of safety equipment, and how to create and implement risk control and operating procedures
- Purpose – making sure the vessel is suitable and legal for the work, obligations in protecting the environment, appropriate planning and situational awareness
At the end of these four training modules, there are two online assessments.
How to take the PPR course:
The course is run by your chosen training centre i.e. Southern Cross Yachting through the RYA eLearning website. To book onto this course please contact us. An instructor will be on hand to help via email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone +617 3396 4100 with queries during the course.